Friday, March 30, 2007

BBQ Tofu Cutlets & Spicy Collard Greens

Mmm Mmm, Barbecue--without contributing to cruel factory farming practices and the hassle of starting up a grill...
You could definitely replace the tofu cutlets with a vegan meat, but I really wanted to cut back on my sodium and fat intake today. Eclectic Americana week has been delicious but has also made me realize how much healthier I eat now that I'm vegan. I don't have to worry about clogging my arteries with saturated or trans fats, and overall, oil and fat consumption has dropped dramatically. I use a lot more veggies and spices in my cooking, and am constantly impressed with the variety of dishes I bring to the table. This week's cooking had subtle spice contributions, like most American cooking, so I can't wait to break into my spice rack(s) again next week! I highly recomend this dish be served with a side of vegan baked beans.

BBQ Tofu Cutlets:

1 package of firm tofu, frozen, thawed, pressed, sliced
vegan barbecue sauce (I used hickory smoke)
onion powder
garlic powder
black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Place sliced tofu onto a cookie sheet lined with napkins to absorb excess moisture. Blot, and sprinkle with garlic, onion, and pepper. Brush barbecue sauce onto each "cutlet" and place sauce side down onto a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Bush with more barbecue sauce. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until tofu has slightly dried out. (Marinating the tofu overnight or for at least a few hours makes the cutlets tastier, but when pressed for time, brushing sauce on right before baking still has good results.)

Spicy Collard Greens:

collard greens, tough stems removed and cut into strips
fresh, minced garlic
cayenne
paprika
salt (optional)
black pepper
red chili pepper flakes
splash of vegetable broth
olive oil

With a tiny bit of olive oil in a skillet, add garlic and saute collards until slightly wilted. Add the rest of the ingredients (to liking) and cook until desired tenderness.

No comments: