Saturday, March 24, 2007

Vegan Pretzel Dogs

Saturday: the start of it all...
I woke up this morning starved, anxious, and dreading what was to be: another Saturday composed of monotonous paragraphs encircled by the discomfort of an eight to ten hour attachment session to a once cushiony couch. What could I possibly muster up to sate my incredibly rumbly tummy? Pretzel dogs of course!
Prepping the batter wasn't too much of a task for me, however, waiting for the dough to rise the first time was absolute torture! It was my first time making any kind of pretzel, so I was a bit worried about the potential result of my late morning experiment. This is a dough recipe I found of 'Zaar by h jones. I tweaked it a bit by reducing the salt, making a half batch, and changing the procedures in order to make pretzel dogs.

Pretzel Dough:

3/4 c. warm water
3/4 t. active dry yeast
1 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. bread flour
1 1/2 c. flour

1 c. warm water
1 T. baking soda
1-2 T. margarine (Earth Balance), melted

Place the first 3 ingredients together in a large bowl. After the yeast has gotten puffy looking, add the salt and flours. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let the dough rise for at least a 1/2 hour covered and in a warm place (I usually stick it in my oven). While the dough is rising, prepare a soda water bath with the cup of warm water and baking soda. Stir and set aside. After the dough has risen, pinch of bits of dough and roll out into long ropes. Preheat oven to 450 F. For pretzel dogs, this recipe makes enough for 5. I used Smart Dogs, but I'm sure other fillings would still be wonderful. Wrap the ropes in a coil around the Smart Dogs, brush the soda bath on the surface, and set on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat until all are finished. Set aside for another ten minutes or so while the oven is preheating. Pop them in the oven for for about 10 minutes. Remove and brush with melted margarine.
I was so pleased with the outcome! Yum!!! I think next time I could even go for some homemade vegan jalapeno cheddar enveloped in this awesome dough!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

this dough is fantastic! thanks for posting!!