Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"Tuna" Noodle Casserole & Deviled Carrots

It's been years since I had (or could eat) this dish...
Time to make a version that I can DEVOUR!!! Muahahahaha! Okay, now seriously--I was having a craving for foods that I used to enjoy when I was a little girl, and of course, my mind landed on this particular comfort dish and wouldn't budge. I used to be a BIG fan of the little Stouffer's frozen tuna noodle casserole, even though it grosses me out now to think about the mystery fish that was lurking in between the noodles, 3 slices of mushroom, and slathered cream sauce--but it was oh so good!
I decided to pair this mellow, creamy dish with a spicy carrot side (original recipe found by Jessica K located here). Anything spicy (or covered in "cheese") will always make Dane happy!

"Tuna" Noodle Casserole:

1/2 package of Fusilli, cooked
1/2 onion, chopped
1 c. celery, sliced thin
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c. frozen baby peas
2 T. Earth Balance margarine
1 c. unsweetened soymilk
1 T. arrowroot powder
a dollop each of veganaise and vegetable broth
cubed tofu, as much as you want
2 c. crushed corn flakes
soy cheese
garlic powder
thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a skillet, melt margarine, saute onions and celery until soft. Add the mushrooms, peas, and let cook while you make a slurry with the soy milk and arrowroot. Add this slurry to the mixture and add veganaise and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in as much soy cheese and tofu as you want, add spices to taste. Pour into a foil-lined 9x13 dish and cover with corn flakes. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, 375 for 10. Let sit for a few minutes before slicing.

No comments: