Saturday, December 1, 2007

Petite Cranberry (or Chocolate) Orange Scones

It has been a LONG time...
My camera has been out of commission for quite some time, and with the burdens of school and travel, I've been out of touch with my experimental side. Yes, I've created some pretty amazing dishes during my absence, and it's a pity that I cannot list all the recipes or photos...but no worries, even with the temporary image-less recipes, I plan on getting back into the posting groove for the holidays ;)

Tonight, my tummy had a hankerin' for some cranberry orange scones...how could I resist the urge to replicate one of my favorite scones?!! Dane, of course, isn't a scone man and the little giddy reaction he had to my sudden excitement and urgency to bake was stifled by the word: SCONE. Even worse to him, the addition of "cranberry orange". So, how did I fix the problem? I agreed to halve the batch and omit the cranberries and throw in a handful of chocolate chunks! BIG smile on Dane's behalf. The man will eat ANYTHING that has chocolate in it.

Petite Cranberry (or Chocolate) Orange Scones:

1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
tiniest pinch o' salt
1/8 c. margarine
1/4 c. dried cranberries (or chocolate, if using)
1 t. fresh orange zest
1/4 c. soy creamer w/
3 drops of apple cider vinegar (to make faux buttermilk)
1/2 of an ener-g egg replacer (optional)

Didn't use the following icing drizzle, but will include in case you're interested in a sweeter scone:

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 T. orange juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl (except the cranberries) and cut in the margarine until the mix looks like coarse crumbs.
Stir in the orange zest.
Stir in the egg replacer and faux buttermilk, stir, then add the cranberries (or chocolate) and stir again until everything is combined.
Flour your hands and knead briefly.
Place the dough onto an ungreased 9x13 pan.
Lightly flour your hands again, then spread the dough out into a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick.
Using a knife, or a dough scraper, cut into small triangles by slicing first into squares, then diagonally.
Do NOT separate!
Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
Drizzle icing over them if desired.
Separate and serve warm!

No comments: