Saturday, December 1, 2007

Vegan "Chicken" Salad

I don't remember ever liking chicken salad...
but for some reason, the presence of a French baguette and the abundance of tempeh packages of left over from Thanksgiving made my curious little mind think of an old vegan chicken salad recipe I came across a while back. Of course, I couldn't find it, but I vaguely remembered the basics and refreshed my memory of the components of a real chicken salad through 'Zaar. It wasn't sufficient for me, so I came up with this in a snap and was quite pleased!

Vegan "Chicken" Salad:
(measurements are approximate)

1/2 a block of tempeh (poached for about 15 minutes)
2 T. vegenaise
1 hefty T. nutritional yeast
1 celery, finely chopped
1 t. mustard
1/3 t. dried, minced onion
1/8 t. garlic powder
a dash of thyme
a couple dashes of bragg's liquid aminos
fine ground pepper to taste
(lettuce, if desired)

Crumble the poached tempeh into a food processor and process slightly until it resembles burger crumbles.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix the vegenaise, nutritional yeast, and the rest of the ingredients until combined.
Add tempeh and mix thoroughly.
Adjust seasonings if necessary.

I had mine spread on a fresh baked baguette with a nice, big piece of red leaf lettuce. YUM!!!

No comments: