Sunday, December 2, 2007

Southern-Style Grits

Nothing like a nice bowl of homemade grits on a Sunday morning...
Fully rested, and after a nice conversation with my dad and little sister, I made my way into the kitchen to make Dane a cup of coffee. As a little girl, and I know this might sound gross to some of you, I would salivate as I passed a Waffle House or a small diner just from thinking about their grits! Being that my family would eat out only once in a very long while, I was always craving the strangest things--and usually foods that are just "fillers" for the main course. Although my mother is an amazing cook, even at that tender little age, I knew I wanted to taste and experience all the other foods that were not on our home menu, which was generally Southern Vietnamese dishes and a combination of other Asian influences. Whereas Vietnamese food is generally a light fare, Southern food was rich, creamy, and comforting. Not the healthiest of options, but I think I can honestly say that this simple dish, grits, was what started my love for Southern food!

If you look at the back of a box of quick (not instant) grits, cooking time is only 5-6 minutes. Not so in the case of Southern grits. You must cook them for at least a half hour before they are the perfect creamy consistency you'd find at a breakfast eatery in the South.

Southern-Style Grits:

2 3/4 c. water
1/2 c. soy creamer (next time, I will use use unsweetened milk and up the amount)
1 t. sea salt
1 c. quick grits (not instant)
2-3 T. Earth Balance margarine

In a small pot, bring water, creamer, and salt to a boil.
Slowly stir in the grits until well mixed.
Cover with a lid and turn the heat down to low.
Let cook for 30 minutes, checking 10 minutes before finished, stir, and add a little more water if the grits are too thick.
When the grits look like a stiff cream of wheat, add the butter and serve immediately.

No comments: